Note: The Following is from
Conway's "Mother, Maiden and Crone"
Triads involving the Gods & Goddesses are older than the Christian
archetype. In the Craft, the triad is symbolized by the Maiden,
Mother and Crone.
The Madien signifies youth, the excitement of the chase, and the newness
of life and magick. In human age she would be between puberty and her twenties.
She does not have a mate. Her colors are soft & light, such as white,
soft pink, or light yellow.
Rituals using the Maiden:
- Any new beginning, or even the hopes and plans for new beginnings.
- When taking on a new job, or planning to apply for a new job.
- During the first steps of new ideas, whatever they are.
- Whenever you plan or begin a complete turn around in your life.
- Whenever you begin a new phase in your life.
- On moving, in to a new house or apartment.
- On entering a new school or going back to school after a delay in
- Any journey that is connected with anticipated changes. This can
- The beginning of a new relationship, love or friendship.
- Plans for getting pregnant.
- The birth of a child.
- The first menestruation for girls.
- Puberty on reaching the teens for boys.
The Mother stands for nurturing, caring, fertility; she is a woman in
the prime of her life and at the peak of her power. She protects her own
and will ensure that justice is done and done well. This woman is usually
mated. In human age, she would be seen as a woman in her thirties to mid-forties.
Her colors are warmer than that of the maiden, such as green, copper, red,
light purple or royal blue.
Rituals using the Mother:
- Project fruition and completion.
- When childbirth is near.
- Strength to see matters through to the end.
- Blessings and protection. This especially applies to females who
are threatened by men.
- Guidance in life decisions.
- Marriages, or the contemplation of or desire for marriage.
- Finding or choosing a mate or companion.
- Gardening, the growing of any plant.
- Choosing or accepting an animal. Protection of animal life.
- Making choices of any kind.
- Gaining or continuing peace.
- Developing intuition and psychic gifts.
- Spiritual direction.
The Crone is a being of age-old wisdom. She is shrew and counsels well.
She cares for the Maiden and the Mother as well as the off-spring thereof.
SHe is logical and can be terrible in her vengeance. She stands at the
door to the dimension of death. In human years, she is approximately 45
or older. The Crone is the Most difficult of the three to place in human
age. The Crone's traditional colors are black, gray, purple, brown or midnight
Rituals using the Crone:
- Ending relationships, jobs, friendships.
- Menopause, or coming to terms with aging.
- A regrouping of energies needed at the end of a cycle of activity
- Rest and calmness before making new goals and plans.
- When the garden or plants are ready for winter.
- Harrassment of any kind.
- Retribution on rapists, murderers, abusers.
- On the death of a person or pet; of any animal or human. Contemplation
at the end of your own life cycle.
- When moving from a dwelling or job.
- When strong protection is needed for attacks on the physical or
psychic levels, or even annoyance by spirits.
- To understand the deepest of mysteries.
- Developing trance or communication with the guides or other spirits.